I am the founder of Lokad. I have strong interests in software engineering, machine learning, statistics and cloud computing.
Mail: 10 rue Philippe de Champaigne, 75013 Paris
Teaching and academics
Assisted Dr. Jean-Philippe Vert for his course on Support Vector Machines at the Ecole des Mines de Paris in 2005.
Assisted Dr. François Bourdoncle for his course Distributed applications in Java at the Computer Science Department of the Ecole normale superieure de Paris in 2006.
(A few) Conferences & Talks
Big Data and Machine Learning, Keynote session at TechDays 2013, audience of 3000 people, Februrary 2013 (video).
Feedback on the Windows Azure platform, Club 01DSI, Paris, October 2009
Windows Azure round-table, talk given at the Journees Editeurs Logiciel, Paris, December 2008
Statistical learning and distributed computing, Summary of my PhD research, Talk given at the École normale supérieure, Paris February 2006 (Slides).
Organizer of the Séminaire Informatique Des Élèves at the ENS, 2003 - 2005
Introduction to metric spaces. Talk given at the Computer Science department of the École normale supérieure, September 2004 (Slides).
Data streams. Talk given at the Computer Science department of the École normale supérieure, October 2003 (Slides).
Report of the conference Data mining and medical applications, Paris 2003. Talk given at the Computer Science Department of the Columbia University, August 2003 (Slides).
Organizer of the conference "Journée Fouille de données et applications médicales" at the ENS, May 2003.
AntiPatterns : réorganisation de projets logiciels en crise. Talk given at the Computer Science department of the École normale supérieure, April 2003 (Slides).
"Sketch based Distributed Garbage Collection, Theory and Empirical Elements", Joannès Vermorel, 2005, Draft available here.
"Near neighbor search in nonmetric space", Joannès Vermorel, Research report, Laboratoire de bioinformatique de l'École des Mines, 2005, Paper available here.
"Multi-Armed Bandit Algorithms and Empirical Evaluation", European Conference of Machine Learning 2005, Joannès Vermorel, Mehryar Mohri, Paper available here.
"Streaming Self-Scaling Histograms with Stability and Optimality Guarantees", Hervé Bronnimann, Joannès Vermorel, New York 2004, To appear. Paper available here.
"Polytechnique MP. Flots sur les arbres. Interprétation en termes de polygones. Application au coloriage", J. Vermorel. Revue des Mathématiques de l'enseignement supérieur. Paris, 2002, p132-145.
- Founded Lokad, sales and demand forecasts - SaaS for business.
- Founded Reduced Design of eXperiments (re-Dox), web-based analytics (archived project).
- Founded PeopleWords.com, translation services (acquired by Anthea Languages in June 2007).
- Various .NET open source projects.
- Organizer & webmaster of a ENS computer tutor team (2002 - )
- Webmaster of the Lycée Louis-le-Grand (2000-2001)
2007 - ... : Founder of Lokad (Big Data for Commerce)
2006 - ... : Teaching Software engineering and distributed apps at Computer Science Dpt of the ENS
2006 - 2008 : Corps des Ingénieurs des Télécommunications (now merged into the Corps des Mines), Paris
2002 - 2006 : École normale supérieure, Paris
- (2004 - 2006) Started PhD in computer science with JP. Vert at the École des Mines.
- (January-June 2004) Research intership at the AT&T Labs, New Jersey.
- DEA I3 at the Université Paris XI, Orsay.
- (Summer 2003) Research intership at Polytechnic University, New York.
- Studying for a master's degree in computer science at the ENS.
1999 - 2002: Lycée Louis-le-Grand, Paris.
- Mathématiques spéciales (MP*)
- Mathématiques supérieures (MPSI)
1998 - 1999: Lycée Carnot, Paris.
- French Scientific Baccalaureat
- In charge of the ENS Student Danse Club (2004-2005).
- Helped to launch cours-equitation.com (in French).